Thursday, May 13, 2010

5 MINUTES: w/ STARRZ

 In Baltimore, there is a burgeoning seen of emcees, ready to make their mark, here, and around the world.  I've had the opportunity to see a lot of these artists take their dreams, and make them a reality. Starrz is no exception to that statement. This  22 years old artist, has been out here grindin'. With production credits, and a cool flow to match, he is ready to be the next out. - Ryan Lyons


 I like the single "Bang". What's the name of the project, and when's it coming out? 

Well, the name of the project is "RealRap2: Amazin Audio" and we plan to drop the album in the middle of June. This is my second project but its the FIRST one that will be critiqued and heard by the masses. So in a way, this is my first "real" project released. My first Single "Bang!" is getting a GREAT reception by a lot of my fans and people in the industry. It's a surprise because it wasn't the single that I was going to go with at first. It really was just a record where I went IN, inhibition and it turned out great! It has that hood feel with that lyrical presence, and a pinch of club too. Great all around record.  







 I know that you've been rapping for a while ( how long?), but what was the defining moment that made you take it serious?

I've been rapping now for 7 years. I started taking it seriously when I first started rapping in K-Swift's circle a while back. She was the first person with power and credibility to say I was nice at rapping.Before then I was just doing it because it was fun. After that I hooked up with Dj Tigga, we made a record called "Back Back" and K-Swift played it on the radio. After hearing my self on the radio it turned my drive and determination to a billion, and I have never looked back since. 




"I wish my city would support, and show more love for their artist's. Every artist in this city wants to be the FIRST to blow." - Starrz

 I understand that your doing production as well, tell us how you got into that aspect of music? 

Like every rapper in the world I wanted the best and most amazing beats.But I couldn't find producers who had that, and if they did, they were charging more than I could handle. So I watched my personal producers JG and BEATWIZ create beats everyday; one worked on Reasons and the other used a MV. So I went to Guitar Center and bought a keyboard and the program. About six months after that, all the hard beats I heard in my head, I was creating myself.
 

 If you could collaborate with any artist right now, who would it be? What music do you ride to?  

Well if i got signed tomorrow my album wouldn't have that many collabs, or features. The way I see it, I've always bought a persons album to hear that artist, not 12 other guys. No matter when I get signed I will have my choice of artist that compliment my sound and style, not who's popular at the time. The first artist would be Lupe Fiasco; I believe he's one of the best lyrical backpack artist out. I'm sure we would collab on a very lyrical/conceptual track that would blow peoples minds. Second artist I would collab with would be Joe Budden; who is in my opinion hands down one of the top five rappers to date. I would do areally deep/personal, no holds bared record with Joey. My third artist would be The Dream. I think he is one of the best producer/songwriters ever. I would want two records with him, one with him on the song and one with just his production. Those are the main people I'm anxious to work with.


Where do you align yourself, amongst this upcoming crop of emcees in Baltimore?  

With all do respect to the Baltimore Hip Hop scene, I don't see myself as the typical "Baltimore rapper" I want to be looked at as a world wide artist, even international. I'm relatively well known in my city, I've worked with almost all the most known in our city and/or done production for them such as Bossman, Smash, Los, 100 Grand Man, Testme,Supe, Skarr Akbar, J.Oliver and many more. I wish my city would support,and show more love for their artists. Every artist in this city wants to be the FIRST to blow. So when someone else is on their way to the top,instead of congratulations, they receive "hate" (I use that word loosely). But I'm sure it's the same story in every city. Big ups to all artist moving and grinding to make it. We are all one hit away!!
 

Be sure to check out my website, IAMSTARRZ.com for daily updates on
my music and life in general. Also to hear more of my music, go to www.reverbnation.com/iamstarrz . 

Check out his single Bang! below:






  BANG! Prod. American Streetz (Explicit) by music1288

No comments: