Monday, March 15, 2010

Born to Use Mic's


I'm currently reading Born To Use Mics by Michael Eric Dyson, and Sohail Daulatzai. I always feel like I need to read more. Why not right? I mean, we spend countless hours on the internet browsing sites, and reading information that doesn't help us in life whatsoever. I figured a could at least take a bite at this reading thing by reading a book that chronicles one of my favorite albums of all time, Nas's Illmatic. I can't front, sometimes Michael Eric Dyson comes off to me as a guy who grew up away from it all, and somehow tried to intellectualize Hip-Hop. But sometimes first impressions are wrong, and who need to intellectualize Hip-Hop, it's already intellectual. Praises go to him for realizing the depth of a culture that is overlooked in it's entirety by angry old black folks, and whites alike.  As I continue to read, I will give you guys updates on how I like it.


PS: Nas recently decided to go back, and receive his Highschool Diploma after dropping out in the 8th grade. You may remember the line from Memory Lane  on Illmatic  , " I dropped outta Cooley High, gassed up by a coke-head cutiepie".

No comments: