Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Rose in the Concrete: SHADINA


Some might say that that R&B new-comer Shadina is a legend in the making. Singing since she was only two years old. Shadina started a dance group, Raw Fusion, at the tender age of ten and made a few appearances on The Apollo Theater stage. At 13 years old, OTIS WILLIAMS of THE TEMPTATIONS discovered Shadina. Otis took her into the studio and saw her talent right away. Her mother Topaz, is an accomplished singer in her own right, produced and managed by the team of TEDDY RILEY and GENE GRIFFIN.

Reppin' Bmore to the fullest while globe-trotting and making moves, she takes time out of her schedule to discuss the present, past, and her future goals.





Ryan Lyons: First things First, When did you start singing, and how did it grow into what it is now?

SHADINA: I been singing since I was a lil baby. My mom is a singer (TOPAZ), and was managed and produced by Teddy Riley and Gene Griffin. Now she manages my career. We just been grinding and giving back. People have just been very supportive of my movement.

 Ryan Lyons: Are You from Baltimore (What part of B-more)? How has this city had an effect on your music?

  SHADINA: Yes I'm from Bmore .Born and raised in the park heights community (north west Bmore).



Ryan Lyons: Who are your favorite artists (any genre)? Do they inspire you, and why?

 SHADINA: My mom (TOPAZ) JANET JACKSON,TINA TURNER,ALICIA KEYS,WHITNEY HOUSTON,BEYONCE,MARY J BLIGE,JESSE NORMAN(CLASSICAL SINGER)....They all inspire me in some form of fashion, rather with music, shows or the way I dress.



Ryan Lyons: Your voice sounds a classic, like you've been through some trials and tribulations? (Laughter) Can you attest to that?

 SHADINA: No I have not been through anything. I just sing, and put myself into the situation. It's like acting, you have to make people feel you, even if you've been through it or not.





Ryan Lyons: What do you think is going to take for people to take more notice to your music? And where do you see yourself in say 5 years?

 SHADINA: I think it's gonna take more shows, and marketing, and promotion. I see myself being mainstream, and winning some awards .I want to get my non-profit off the ground as well.



 Ryan Lyons:  I was proud of your performance on B.E.T. You showed them we have some serious talent!! Tell me about that experience, and how has it helped you?

 SHADINA: It was a great experience; I loved every moment of it. Now I have A. Keys in my corner, and I will be doing some shows with her as well.





 Ryan Lyons I see that dancing is also a big part of your set, how much effort do you put into that part of your performance?

 SHADINA: I love dancing, my dancers, I call them my SHADIVA'S and my choreographer's name is Champ .We work really hard, we practice for long hours, and put our all into it.



Ryan Lyons: What is it about SHADINA that sets you apart from the rest of the entertainers?

 SHADINA: What you see is me. I sing, I dance, I sing Classical music, I write, and produce my own music, I put my shows together, and I'm a performer. I want to bring the entertainment, back into shows.



 Ryan Lyons: If you could collaborate with any artist (any genre) who would it be?

 SHADINA: KANYE WEST...LUDA...BEYONCE...MARY J BLIGE.ALICIA KEYS.JANET JACKSON .BEANIE SEGAL.PINK.JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE.OMARION...It's so many to really name!



 Ryan Lyons: Thank -you for doing this interview. It was a pleasure. I think your beautiful as well as your sound. Do you have anything you would like to say?

SHADINA: My debut Cd is called BORN 4 THIS. You can find it on Itunes, Amazon, Napstar, Rhapsody, or EMUSIC.www.myspace.com/shadina1


Shadina recently released her debut single,"GOOD GIRLS" featuring CHUBB ROCK which is receiving air play on many satellite radiostations, radio 1 stations and internet play!!
Please follow me on twitter, facebook, myspace, youtube! I also started my own radio show.SHADINA RADIO. You can listen Mon- Thurs at www.blogtalkradio.com/shadina at 9PM EST!!!!

Check her Youtube:  



-

7 comments:

Brad Piff said...

Ayo....

That BET performance was impressive!!! Sings & dance....with a personality?!

Honey is a star in the making, & from B'More!!!!!!

Tracey said...

i would love to see Shadina at any award show.. She can sing but she also bring real showmanship noty theatrics. love u Shadina!

Malik said...

Wow !!!! Baltimore got talent like that/I thought all they knew was club music... She keepp grinding she gonna blow up.!!!

ANDRE BROWN said...

HOTTTTT thats all i can say! looking for her cd now!

FLYGIRL said...

SHADINA IS AMAZING!!! I JUST CHECK OUT HER YOUTUBE FOOTAGE..THIS GIRL CAN SINGGGGGGGGGG . i LIKE THE INTERVIEW TOO

DAVID said...

PRETTY GIRL

carlita said...

She sings with alot of power. Like the video too . Alicia keys didnt no what hit her